Due to unemployment, and thus financial hardship, I have changed my policy of not adding labor cost to my rosaries. I hope that you can understand why this is necessary and will continue to support my apostolate. At this time I need to support my family with my skills and resources. I have not added much to the cost of each item -- not as much as most vendors would, doubling or tripling their cost -- but just enough to contribute a small amount to my family's income.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mary's Blue Mantle





This strung rosary is made from marbled light and navy blue pearled polymer clay beads, frosted aqua Czech glass beads, and tiny navy blue Japanese seed beads. When I created the clay beads, I knew that this would have to be a rosary for Our Lady, as the colors are reminiscent of the many pictures we see of her depicted with her Blue Mantle. The pewter center is a wreath encircling a silhouette of Our Blessed Mother with a cluster of Dogwoods at the bottom. The pewter crucifix is simple, but striking. $30.00

This is one of my very first strung rosaries. I've been toying with the idea, since creating several rosary-style necklaces, but have been hesitant to give it a go. I didn't want to completely switch styles, as I love the old-fashioned link rosary, but, it was fun to put the colors together and I felt a little more creative stringing this rosary than I do linking beads. I will continue to make both styles.

I have made all of the Aves and Paters by hand -- they are glazed polymer clay. Polymer clay, once fired is very durable. I even did a few tests on my own, and the only way I was able to damage one was with a hammer. Though strong, it is very lightweight. However, the best thing about polymer clay is the color availability -- by mixing and marbling, an almost infinite number of colors and combinations are available. These rosaries are strung on very strong, but lightweight and flexible, steel cable. They are double crimped for extra durability.

Stay tuned -- next up -- St. Francis/St. Anthony.


.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Gorgeous!!!

I just started making strung rosaries as well, and I love it!

I really love your handmade beads. I have been wanting to try polymer, but told myself that I need to hold up on any new crafts right now. LOL

Deborah said...

Absolutely beautiful! you seem to find the most beautiful medals

Question for you. My mom lives very close to Knock and has a deep faith in the apparitions that took place there. I would love to get her a custom rosary for her bi9rthday (Dec. 1) If I were able to find a good "Our Lady of Knock" medal or something would you be able to turn it into a rosary for her? I know it would make her day, but not sure where to start. We're going to be up that way in late September, so wasn't sure if that is enough time... let me know! ;-) I am LOVING my amethyst rosary, and hopefully Our lady is too!