Due to unemployment, and thus financial hardship, I have changed my policy of not adding labor cost to my rosaries. I hope that you can understand why this is necessary and will continue to support my apostolate. At this time I need to support my family with my skills and resources. I have not added much to the cost of each item -- not as much as most vendors would, doubling or tripling their cost -- but just enough to contribute a small amount to my family's income.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Embroidered Scapulars






Last fall, the young priest at our parish asked for volunteers to sew scapulars. I had never sewn a scapular, but I have and use a sewing machine, so I volunteered. He never asked for me to make them, but I did check online to find parts for them, unfortunately never having any good luck finding scapulars I could afford to give away in large quantities.






I finally approached the young Father again and told him I had not been fortuitous in finding parts, and he explained that technically they don't have to have anything written on them, and, in fact, can be two plain, tiny pieces of wool sewn to the ribbons, "as small as your tooth." I had no idea. I managed to find some 100% wool pieces on the internet and starting embroidering scapulars, with A/M on one side and Chi Rho on the other. I then decided to "try my hand" at a Sacred Heart design.



In the meantime I also found some kits that I could afford in large quantities, and could sew assembly line fashion for our priests. I decided that to support the "priest scapular fund" I would embroider scapulars to sell and I placed them in my Etsy shop. So far I've stayed pretty busy embroidering. One scapular takes about four hours to create.

If you are interested in an embroidered scapular, either leave a comment or email me using the email address in the sidebar. They are $11 each plus $3.50 for mailing. If you want to purchase one through Etsy using PayPal, go here.



No comments: